The Agency for International Business and Cooperation (EVD), an agency of the Dutch Government, has introduced its new Development Cooperation Matchmaking Facility for businesses in developing countries, which has been implemented this September.
The EVD, the Dutch Embassies abroad and Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs have signalled a need for a comprehensive instrument to match companies from developing countries with partners from the Netherlands, with the target of stimulating private sector development through joint investment in those emerging markets. This same need has been expressed by embassies of the developing countries in the Netherlands. In order to fulfil that demand, the EVD has set up a comprehensive matchmaking instrument for all countries currently eligible under the Programme for Cooperation with Emerging Markets (PSOM), with the exception of those countries for which similar matching projects are open or strong network relation with the Netherlands already exist.
Pakistan is eligible under the new facility, for which the target group consists of;
• small and medium sized enterprises.
• that have a concrete investment idea and
• that are looking for a business partners from the Netherlands.
Companies selected under the matchmaking facility, will be assisted by the Dutch embassy, the EVD and a consultant in order to make the necessary contacts and establish successful cooperation. The aim is that those matches lead to a long-term relationship with the possible result of joint investments in the developing county. This can be a PSOM proposal, but not necessarily.
How does the matchmaking Facility work?
Pakistani companies will be able to apply for matchmaking through the Dutch embassy in Islamabad. Companies interested will need to download and fill in the intake form on the Dutch embassy website.
- Consecutively, the Dutch embassy will perform a thorough screening in order to verify that the company is eligible under the facility or not.
- If positive, the intake form will be sent to the EVD, where a team of project
officers will start the search for a potential match by means of available
database and through its extensive network in the Netherlands. Possible
matches will be actively approached by the EVD in order to determine their
- When two or three interested candidates are found, their profile, accompanied by additional information on the Dutch business sector, will be sent to the local company that applied for matchmaking in Pakistan.
- The role of the Dutch government concerning actual matchmaking ends here. However, in order to stimulate Pakistani company to engage in a business or investment relationship the company will receive a voucher worth €5,000. the voucher should be used to call in a Dutch consultancy bureau to further shape the cooperation between the partners, for instance by performing a quick scan of the Pakistani market and by setting up a visit of the Pakistani company to the Netherlands. The EVD will monitor this part of the Matchmaking facility.
It is worth pointing out that the voucher will only be sent to Pakistani company if;
• the outcome of the screening by the Dutch embassy is positive.
• two or three interested candidates are found in the Netherlands.
The travel expenses for the visit program of Pakistani company to the Netherlands should be covered by them selves.