Pakistan Horticulture Development & Export Board (PHDEB) is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Commerce responsible for vitalizing the Horticulture Sector invites applications from reputed firms engaged in the consultancy work in horticulture sector for carrying out feasibilities studies in following areas:
(1) Improvise Technology (2) Tissue Culture
TORs for the above study are given below. The financial & technical proposals with company profile should be submitted latest by January 10, 2008.
PHDEB reserves the rights to accepts or reject any or all of offers
Terms of Reference
Feasibility Study – Tissue Culture Multiplication Facility
The purpose of the study is to assess financial feasibility of Tissue Culture Multiplication (TCM) facility for commercial production of vegetables, flowers & fruit plants in the country. The scope of study will broadly cover the following:
i) Mapping of the crops and areas in reference to tissue culture for horticulture products (vegetables, flowers and fruit plants)
ii) Study existing constraints/issues of horticulture sector with specific reference to availability of disease free and high yielding planting material and its impact on produce quality and yield.
iii) Review existing status of tissue culture in the country and give comprehensive status of the activities being carried out at present. Also highlight tissue culture trends in world and impact on their productivity & export.
iv) Review market demand for tissue culture plants with focus on export for different vegetables, fruits, flowers and ornamental plants keeping in view the emerging market trends & preferences.
v) Examine the potential for tissue culture multiplication (TCM) unit for vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants in the country keeping in view demand driven production, varietal aspects, replication and multiplication techniques and scope of multiplication of plants at the farmer fields. A comparison between tissue culture versus normal farming may be presented to highlight the benefits of the technique
vi) Suggest marketing plan for tissue culture plants based on analysis of existing market situation, prevailing prices, future industry outlook, envisaged competition, estimated market size and growth potential.
vii) Determine needs for training (local and international) and technical assistance for management, technical and field staff to overcome knowledge gap and make suggestions in this regard
viii) If requirement established, design a model tissue culture farm for vegetables, fruits, flowers & ornamental plants highlighting the following:
• Land requirement, land use and recommended location/s based on justification
• Level of investment including both capital and operating costs.
• Machinery/equipment required and recommended technology
• Available sources of machinery and materials with the suggested sources based on reasons
• Sources of planting materials, pricing structure and recommended source
• Manpower requirements (technical and support staff), their number and category (permanent, contractual, casual)
• Suggested participation of beneficiary farmers in cash or kind
• Indicate proposed sources of financing for the project
• Detailed tentative project implementation schedule
ix) Examine possibilities of collaboration with established national/international institutions
x) Suggest appropriate organizational and management structure for the operations and management of the proposed facilities
xi) Define the role of PHDEB, other stakeholders and support institutions in the establishment and management of proposed project.
xii) Carry out detailed financial and economic analysis to determine economics and commercial viability of the model project covering the following:
• Detailed assumptions underlying financial/economic projections with justification of the assumptions
• Projected demand and supply situation based on the recommended project
• Detailed income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statement for ten (10) years
• Calculation of breakeven point, pay back period, cost benefit analysis, net present value and IFRR
• Calculation of IERR, value addition to the economy, direct & indirect employment creation, foreign exchange earnings/savings, social and related economic benefits from the project
xiii) Conduct risk analysis identifying the type and magnitude of risks and measures to overcome those risks.
xiv) Suggest appropriate policy measures and incentives required to promote tissue culture multiplication for vegetables, fruits, flowers & ornamental plants and attract private sector investment.
xv) Any other suggestions including policy issues which the consultant thinks important for the development and promotion of tissue culture farming in the country.
xvi) To submit the document in soft form and 5 copies in the hard form.
xvii) Prepare PC-1, based on the above study in line with the discussions held with PHDEB
Terms of Reference
Improvised Technologies for Export Growth
The purpose of the study is to investigate the need, technical and financial / economic feasibility of introduction of Improvised/Low Cost Appropriate Technology (LCAT)) for fruits, vegetables and floriculture in various parts of the country. The scope of work will broadly cover the following:
• Review trends in area and production of fruits and vegetables in the country over the last 10 years for the following products:
(1) Kinnow (2) Mango (3) Date (4) Potato (5) Onion (6) Banana (7) Peach
(8) Grape (9) Chilies (10) Vegetables (11) Floriculture
• Review the status of product wise pre and post-harvest technologies currently being applied in fruits and vegetables in different provinces / parts of the country.
• To define/develop the product wise flow charts clearly identifying the steps requiring for defined products at pre- and post-harvest stages of product handling
• Identify various pre-harvest technologies which include frost management, pruning, harvesting, harvest aids, product collection, filed handling and temporary storage required in specific fruits and vegetables in reference to specific areas.
• Identify the post-harvest handling techniques (sorting, washing, grading, waxing, drying, hot water treatments, packing, storage, ripening etc) for fruits and vegetables and related low cost technologies.
• Identify the technological resources to demonstrate the product wise needs in pre-and post-harvest handling and processing operations
• Identify local sources versus imported ones for supply, manufacturing or availability of requisite technologies along with current market prices
• Identify the low cost pack house structure along with appropriate design and layouts as per the process flow diagrams for defined products
• Identify the local engineering concerns which can develop and fabricate the machinery and equipment which is currently not available/manufacture or which is economically un-feasible to import, with the estimated cost involved
• Identify the design, capacity, product handling, efficiency of appropriate machinery, equipment for the defined products.
• Comment on the role of R & D institutions in the overall scenario of the project and specific support from specific institution
• Estimate capacity building needs especially training and technical assistance to overcome human resource constraints if any
• Suggest marketing plan & marketing organization for the project wherever required
• Prepare modular projects/sub-projects for each product/area and estimate the level of overall investment including both capital and operating (recurring) costs and suggested sources of financing
• Indicate a tentative project implementation schedule / bar chart
• Carry out financial and economic analyses covering detailed financial projections (income statement, balance sheet and cash flow statements for a period of ten(10) years), financial ratios, breakeven analysis, benefit cost ratio, pay back period, IFRR, Value addition, IERR and other socio economic benefits etc.
• Consolidate the aforesaid projects into one project and highlight its financial indicators
• Conduct risk analysis identifying the type and magnitude of risks and measures to overcome those risks.
• Define role of PHDEB and other stakeholders, support institutions in establishment of proposed project and possibility of private sector investment in the project
• Suggest appropriate organizational and management structure for the operations and management of the proposed project
• To submit the document in soft form and 5 copies in the hard form.
• Prepare PC-1, based on the above study in line with the discussions held with PHDEB